Am I a Washington Resident?

You must have the intentions of living in the state permanently.

First, in order to be a full-year Washington resident, you must intend on residing there on a permanent basis. On top of that, you can be a Washington resident even if you’re a resident of another state.  The Department of Revenue states that a person must meet the following to be a Washington resident:

  • Maintains a residence in Washington for personal use;
  • Lives in a motorhome or vessel which is not permanently attached to any property if the person previously lived in this state and does not have a permanent residence in any other state;
  • Registered to vote in Washington;
  • Recieve benefits under one of Washington’s public assistance programs;
  • Possesses a state professional or business license in this state;
  • Attends school and pays tuition as a Washington resident; or
  • Is a custodial parent with a child attending a public school in this state;
  • Uses a Washington address for federal or state taxes;
  • Has a Washington State driver’s license; or
  • Obtaining a hunting or fishing license claiming Washington as a residence, eligibility to hold public office or for judicial actions.

What if you disagree with your state residency?

On the other hand, if you disagree with your state residency, you must provide facts to show that you do not plan on living in the state temporarily or permanently. However, if you are currently a Washington resident who has the intention of moving at a future date, you are still a Washington resident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *